Craftmas in July - let's do it!
Last December, Sarah, Christina, and I had lots of chats about how much we loved holiday decorating and crafting for our homes, but when we're actually in the thick of the season it can be hard to find time to do non-gift-related crafting. We thought it would be fun to do some holiday crafting for our homes in the summer, pack it away, and know that we'd have a present for ourselves waiting to decorate our homes when the time came! July seemed like a great month for a project like this, and we started calling it Craftmas in July when we chatted about it... and thus, a hashtag was born. (Ha.)
Here's the deal:
- All holidays are welcome! The three of us will be doing Christmas-y crafts, but we're mostly using the -mas suffix here to make up a word for a Crafty Festival/Feast Day/Holiday. Yay crafts!
- All crafts are welcome, too! So far the ideas we've bantered around have involved crochet, sewing, knitting, and embroidery. Craft it up however you want, as long as it's holiday-focused in some way.
- We'll be doing this in July, of course.
- We're focusing on projects for our own homes, not gifts for others, but if you want to participate and use this time to knock out some holiday gifts, that is awesome too.
- The three of us are going to be posting about what we're doing on Instagram and Twitter, because that's where we're chattiest, and we'd love for any interested people to play along - using the #craftmasinjuly hashtag will let us all check out what other folks are doing. If we make knitted, crocheted, or woven items, we'll tag those Ravelry projects with #craftmasinjuly too.
That's it! If you think you might participate please let me know in the comments - we think this will be really fun!
I plan to do a series of felt + embroidery hoop wall hangings for this, inspired by this ornament pin and some vintage stencils I have, and can't wait to get started! I bought all the supplies last year and never had time to get going on them (see the first paragraph of this post...) so it's exciting to think about getting this done way before it's time to hang everything. If I have time, I'd also like to do a felt ornament or two - basically, I have a mountain of wool felt and I'd like to use it.
I'm looking forward to following along with Sarah and Christina's Craftmas in July projects - and yours too, if you join in the fun!